Sunday, October 21, 2012

Wiki Assignment

For this week's lab, we had to explore wikis. The first thing we had to do was edit our school on Wikipedia. Allegan High School's page on Wikipedia isn't very extensive, but it is accurate. I added two things: our school colors and that we have trimesters.


The next thing we had to do was create our own wikis. I used them in my undergrad teaching classes at MSU, but never created my own. It took me awhile to get used to it and to play around with the different features. I also wasn't sure what context I wanted to include on my wiki (since I already have a Weebly website and use Moodle). I decided to make the wiki general (msbenoitahs.wikispaces.com), so I could include all my classes if I wanted, but focused mainly on the second half of Senior English (since I'll be teaching five sections of that over the course of the year). It's a work in progress and a lot of the editing I'll need to do as we read the novel. But I have a pretty good start and feel like it will be beneficial to my students. I've invited a few teachers who also teach it to collaborate, as well as some colleagues who may want to see a wiki! Since I don't teach the class until next trimester, I won't be able to invite students until later.  I've included the link here if you'd like to check it out! :)

No comments: